13.12.11

HOW TO make bias binding

  I use bias binding a lot and when I can't find a perfect match I just make it myself, here's how....

1. Work out how much binding you need and double check the width required (don't forget to add extra for the seam allowances on both sides).  Press your fabric and lay it out onto a large flat surface.  On the wrong side draw a line diagonally across; I use a protractor to find the exact 45 degree angle from the selvedge.


2. Once you've marked out all your binding carefully cut out the strips without pulling or stretching the fabric.


3. You may need to make joins and this is done by placing right sides together and stitching as shown below.


4. Press the seam open and you're ready to go.


5. If required you can pre-press the edges of your binding, it will depend on your sewing project. These little gadgets can help with the folding and pressing, Tessuti in Melbourne stock them in 6mm, 12mm, 18mm and 25mm widths.

I used my binding for an elastic casing around the edges of our Bathing Suit Top (photos very soon)...super cute!

If you're feeling a bit lazy take a look at this

No comments:

Post a Comment